Packed with mixable waveforms, a new sub oscillator design, the famous Steiner-Parker multimode filter, super fast envelope, syncable LFO and the new step sequencer, not to mention the patchable mod matrix the MicroBrute is a landmark new synth at an incredible price.
At a Glance
- 25 Mini-key Keyboard with Note On, Note Off & Velocity Out via USB
- Octave Up & Down Transpose Buttons
- Pitch-Bend Wheel
- Mod Wheel with Switchable Control of Filter Cutoff or LFO Amount
- Pitch Glide Time Control
- Bi-polar Filter Envelope Amount Control
- Keyboard Filter Tracking Control
- 1/8”/3.5mm Jack Headphone Output
- 1/4”/6.35mm Jack Audio Output
- 1/4"/6.35mm Jack Audio Input with Input level control
- Rear CV/GATE Interface (Conforms to 1V/Oct standard)
- 1/8”/3.5mm Jack Pitch Out
- 1/8”/3.5mm Jack Gate Out
- 1/8”/3.5mm Jack Gate In
- MIDI DIN Input
- USB 2.0 Type B Jack for MIDI I/O and MicroBrute Connection Software Communication
- Runs on 12 Volt, 1Amp Center Pin Positive DC connector (Supplied)
- Weight 1.750 Kg
- Dimensions 325x221x60mm
- The MicroBrute is new but carries the award-winning heritage of its big brother, the MiniBrute.
- The MicroBrute was designed to be small but still retain an amazing sound quality. With a 100% pure analog voice path and advanced interconnectablity via MIDI, USB, CV/GATE, this machine is a true powerhouse synthesizer that takes your sound to a new level.
- A synthesizer is a musical instrument that is meant to be played. However, playing a synthesizer is more than just playing some notes on a keyboard and recalling someone else’s presets. If that was the goal you could be looking at accordions or going to a department store to buy your keyboard (along with socks, milk and toilet paper)…but you aren’t because you are more creative than that.
- No presets, no menus, nothing to get between you and the ability to sculpt your sound live. Not only does MicroBrute give you the means to create, perform and be completely original every time you power up, it does so with astounding sound quality.
The VCO on the MicroBrute is unique in the synthesizer world. It features the ability to mix waveforms in variable amounts as opposed to simple ON/OFF switches that are found on many synths at four times the price. The sound possibilities don’t stop there. Each waveform has wave modifiers that allow even further tonal variations. While many synths need two or three oscillators to get a somewhat big sound, the MicroBrute is able to achieve a much wider tonal range with its one oscillator.
For the MicroBrute we redesigned our sub-oscillator from the ground up. The new OVERTONE sub allows for the typical -1 octave square wave that thickens up the bottom end but goes beyond this with the Overtone control. The Overtone control allows you to bring in more complex harmonics that when turned all the way up result in the oscillator changing pitch to a 5th above the root.
This allows for some classic sounding leads and fatter basses. This control can even be modulated with the ENVELOPE or LFO via the mod matrix which creates some amazing new sounds never heard from a synth oscillator before.
The Ultrasaw builds two phase-shifted copies of the basic sawtooth signal. This effect, when turned up, gives you a slight thickening of the sound as it duplicates the sound of two saw oscillators close to the same pitch. You can then use the MOD MATRIX to route the LFO to the SAW which will add a third saw sound and allow to simulate a wider detuning effect. This one saw wave can now sound like a three oscillator synth by itself.
The Metalizer takes the basic triangular waveform and “warps/folds” it to create very complex jagged waveforms that are rich in high harmonics. This results in a hard sync sweep type of sound that is perfect for hardcore bass sounds or tearing leads. The ENVELOPE has a default routing to this parameter via the MOD MATRIX. Just turn up the ENVELOPE amount control, adjust your envelope to an interesting setting and you will hear the effect take hold.
The MicroBrute comes with a full featured LFO and a standard ADSR type Envelope. The routing of these modulation sources are configured in the MOD MATRIX. No other synth in this price range allows for this kind of flexibility. The MOD MATRIX allows you to control many aspects of the voice for different internal sources as well as opening the door to controlling them by external synths and modules.
The MOD MATRIX has two default routings :
1. LFO > PITCH
2. ENV > METALIZER
This allows you the typical LFO/MODWHEEL vibrato control as well as having the envelope add modulation to the Metalizer.
NOTE: that the ENV is always routed to the filter and there is a separate ENV AMOUNT control in the filter itself. This default routing can be overridden by simply inserting one of the patch cords into either the mod output or input jacks. You can then patch in your own routings.
Introduced for the first time in the Synthacon synthesizer, back in the 70’s, this marvellous filter not only gives you a Lowpass mode like most other synths, but also Bandpass, and High-pass, making it a highly versatile and praised boutique filter.
The Brute Factor™
The MicroBrute filter is based on the core of the legendary Steiner-Parker multimode filter and has been improved to deliver an even wider range of cutoff and resonance. Nyle Steiner himself has validated and approved these improvements.
The Brute Factor™ was inspired by a patch made on a famous vintage synthesizer. User would connect the headphone output to the external audio input resulting in a kind of feedback loop that is ideal for raspy and grungy sounds. This patch has been adapted and implemented internally first in the MiniBrute and now in the MicroBrute.
MICROBRUTE AS AN AUDIO PROCESSOR ?
MicroBrute is more than a synthesizer. It allows a return to audio experimentation by giving you the ability to process external sounds though it. The MicroBrute has an audio input with a pop-up trim pot for level controls on the rear panel. This will allow you to process any other sounds like voice, guitar or other synths through the MicroBrute’s filter, Brute Factor™, and final output stages.
We have added a new step sequencer for the MicroBrute. The step sequencer harkens back to some other step sequencer designs of the 80s but updates them in a way that goes beyond belief.
The step sequencer allows for eight different sequences. These sequences can have up to 64 steps each and are stored in internal memory so that when you power down, they are retained.
You input the notes that you want one at a time and can insert rests using the TAP TEMPO button to create rhythmic patterns. Once you have your sequences, you can choose between many different ways to trigger and play your sequences.